Search This Blog

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Cmdline: Input and Output.


Mind that the developer must learn to use the reference and tutorials side by side. Eventually human help can be useful as well. It's a scarce resource. Tutorials are great ways to give a first impression of developments, and as business necessitates, references can fill gaps of knowledge.

In Linux, there is a way to keep you covered about interesting, ambiguous commands: the commands man, info, and whatis. Whatis is my personal favorite because it gives a one-line description of the purpose of the command. Man is useful as a reference of commands. So, say I want to know what bzr is. Simple, I write up

whatis bzr

And there you go: Bazaar next-generation version control.

I/O - Input, Output

The Linux terminal knows how to invoke I/O. What you type onto the terminal is an input, and the results that are spit out are outputs. Outputs actually come in two forms, standard output and standard error. The interesting thing is that the outputs are linked to the screen, so that you could see it them with your own eyes. For instance, if you invoked the ls command, which lists directory files, in usr/bin, the near equivalent of the Program Files folder in Windows, then you would receive an output of the entire program list.

ls -l /usr/bin

Now here's the catch. Say you want the output to be stored in a file, not directed to the screen. Manipulating the I/O to redirect the output comes in handy. All you need to do is use the > command.

ls -l /usr/bin > bin-output.txt

This would put the output you normally see on the screen arrives to your .txt file. But it also overwrites the contents of the intended file. If you want to append (add on) the output, we could use >>.

ls -l /usr/bin >> bin-output.txt

There are all sorts of possibilities that spring to my mind with Linux's redirection ability. Perhaps I want to share an error message if any with a fellow developer who can review it and discuss it with me in detail. Or show the measures I took and have the community help me out with a problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment