Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

UCLA Linux User Group has a word on promoting Open Source.

Yesterday, directly after school, I headed to UCLA's Boelter Hall to meet up with the UCLA LUG (Linux User Group).  It took me some time to tame the maze-like structure of the Hall, but I found the location with the unassuming Penguin logo peering out of the door.  I entered with some confidence, still unwary, of the amount of talk my project had from the group.



I shook hands with Nathan McCoy, the president of the group, and got comfortable with the lounge and its many inhabitants, all Linux enthusiasts. We initiated the discussion with a clearer picture of my goal: to not only raise school awareness of open source, but perhaps bring a transition to the school's decadent technology.

The theme? Spark interest, then push an idea! 2 years is ample time to work this through.

Open to suggestions, I was suprised beyond measure of the loads of ideas they contributed, most of which were extremely high quality.

Here are ideas for the moderate course.
  • Grassroot entry: start from the bottom, slowly build up on it.
  • Start a computer group in school, or more specifically, a LUG.
  • *Set up timetables, meetings, and events. 
  • Acting closed, make the ideas "trendy" (ex. instead of talking of jargon like "open source," I relate it to people, consider what they care about, and make it seem like another Windows and just as easy - or even more appealing - to use.)
  • Showcase applications that I create or tricks/tips to the group.
Here is something to work from the administration, disseminating like the branches of an upside-down tree.
  • For instance, say I wanted a few computers in the library to run Linux. I would contact the district office to see if anyone else has tried this, and if it's permissible to try this in the school.
  • I can talk with the school's computer science teacher and see his views on Linux in school. Striking a negotiation would help.
All these things while taking small steps forward.  In the long run, progress is guaranteed not by rushing but by taking deliberate, concerted measures to unity.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment